Great Patio Design Tips
As the trends towards creating a unique outdoor living space continues to grow, so does the interest in designing a beautiful, yet functional patio. Use your exterior space as an extension of your home by adding an outdoor living room, kitchen or spa. Amenities like fire pits and fireplaces, lighting and furniture and appliances add to your home's value and time spent with family and friends. Here are some great tips to help ensure your patio is a reflection of your personal tastes and needs:
- Think out of the box! Give your outdoor living space some personality and sense of informality by creating a patio with curved edges.
- If you plan on having a pool or spa, you can design your patio around it to create a resort-like retreat.
- Get colorful by softening the edges of your patio with a border of flowering annual, perennials and shrubs. For extra privacy use taller, wider plants or try planting some trees.
- Consider throwing down a high-quality, environmentally friendly and weather-resistant rug to dress up your outdoor living room.
- Don't forget to light your patio. Whether it's to illuminate a dark space or add ambiance to your outdoor living room, finding the right lighting can really enhance the look and feel of your patio. Think energy-efficient and use low-voltage bulbs or solar products.
- Let water soothe your outdoor experience by installing a water fountain or if you can fit it into your budget, a spa or pool makes a great focal point to your outdoor living area.
- Extend your time outdoors with a fire pit or fireplace and enjoy making S'mores with the family. Order extra slabs, flagstones, brick or small boulders so you can design and build your own custom hearth.
- Whether it's the subtle sounds of a wind chime or an outdoor stereo, be sure to include music into your outdoor living space.
- Maximize your dining experience with an outdoor kitchen that has the many of the same features as your master kitchen - refrigerator, brick oven, warming draws, grill and sink.