Selecting the Right Garage Door
In the last few years, garage doors have experienced a major transformation in their role on the American home. Today's garage doors do a lot more than go up and down. If you're building a new home, it's the perfect time to make sure your garage door has all the latest features and style to make your life safer and easier. And of course, make your new home the envy of the neighborhood.
The two-story Clairborne House Plan features a 3-car garage with utility space and plenty of extra space to stay organized and functional.
Here are some interesting facts about today's garage doors that should assist you in choosing the right product for your new home:
- They can add a unique style to your home's appearance. For example, a new carriage house garage door can differentiate your home from the neighborhood and greatly increase its curb appeal. Today's trendy looks range from hundreds of different styles of carriage house doors, contemporary doors and even raised panel doors in unique finishes and colors.
This European-styled home has a two-car garage with bonus space.
- A garage door can add one to four percent to your home's value if you were to sell it down the road.
- Today's garage doors offer insulation options that can save energy in both winter and summer. Look for tax credits of up to $1500 on eligible insulated doors.
- Protect your home from powerful winds. Hurricanes, tornadoes and strong windstorms can destroy your home, which is why it is important to understand the importance of how a wind-resistant garage door can protect your home.
- Since your garage door will probably be used more than your front door, you should check into a garage door opener battery backup system, so your door will stay operational even during a power outage.
- An important safety feature is to have an in-house monitor that tells you when you've left the garage door open.
- Exterior keypads are very popular. The latest keypad models offer fingerprint-recognition technology that eliminates the need to remember codes and offers fast and easy secure access.
- In today's fast-paced society the garage door has become the new front door for most families, because it is convenient to enter and exit. Since it takes up to 25 to 35 percent of your home's exterior it commands attention and represents you sense of style.
A new trend in homebuilding is using polished, stamped or stained concrete to enhance the look and design of a basement, sunroom or garage. When it comes time to relaxing or working on a project, like fixing your car you'll appreciate a warm radiant concrete floor. WarmlyYours® new electric heating cables and mats allow you to warm naturally cold concrete efficiently and economically. There are no pipes, boilers, tubing, tanks or pumps, just the initial installation cost of having the cables and mats embedded in the concrete pour.