Even though 70% of the earth’s surface is covered by water, less than 1% is suitable for drinking. It is important to conserve this natural resource by practicing moderation and installing water-efficient products in your home. Here are some helpful tips and practices so you can save water and live green:
1. Using toilets with High-Efficiency Toilets (HETs) can save up to 22,000 gallons of water a year. Donâ€™t use your toilet as trashcan, this only inhibits efficiency and uses more water.
2. Cutting a minute off your shower every day will save more than 900 gallons of water annually (based on a taking a seven minute shower). Purchasing WaterSense labeled 1.75 gpm showerheads can save your more than 7,500 gallons of water annually.
3. Using efficient faucets and installing low-flow aerators on kitchen and bath faucets will save hundreds of gallons of water each month without requiring any additional effort.
4. Use the appropriate water level and load size when doing laundry in your washing machine. For the most savings, purchase a frontload washing machine.
5. Use a broom rather than a hose to clean off driveways, steps and sidewalks.