New Trends in Lighting
1. The focus is back on brilliant chandeliers in the entry and dining areas. A cozy formality and decorum is once again welcomed into the social spaces of the home. Chandeliers take center stage, carrying the mood of the room.
2. Many are choosing to downsize their homes and then maximize their use of space. Patios, balconies, and decks are serving as additional living/dining areas. Lighting and furniture design elements are being used to create continuity between the indoors and outdoors.
3. Solar powered landscape lighting is seeing more widespread use. As the brightness produced by energy-efficient bulbs improves, these handy outdoor lights will be getting more attention.
4. Color is going natural when it comes to fixtures. The neutrals; beige, ivory, taupe, gray, and white are paired with organic and spice colors. Grays coupled with organic tones deliver the soft, enveloping atmosphere that is the perfect counterpoint to today's busy lifestyle.
5. Everyone is paying attention to kitchen lighting. Since the kitchen has evolved as a social gathering place, multiple layers of function and ambience are necessary. The pendant light trend remains strong. Often set in a row over islands, they are also being used in three-level-closely-clustered formations over a dinette.