Top 3 Kitchen Trends for 2013
When selecting your house plans, the kitchen is a place to invest your money and where families spend a lot of their time. Unlike other rooms in your house, the kitchen is the room that has to stand the test of time. On February 19th, 2013 the National Kitchen and Bath Association released a list of popular kitchen and bathroom trends. The list was compiled from a survey of over 300 member-designers who observed materials, design, and style from their clients over the last quarter of 2012.
“As members of the NKBA, the kitchen and bath industry’s foremost professional association, our designers demonstrate comprehensive knowledge in kitchen and bath design,” says 2013 NKBA President John Morgan in a recent press release. “They excel in evaluating homeowners’ specific needs and creating designs that inspire. It will be interesting to discover the trends that emerge from the rich experience of these creative, talented individuals.”
Here are few of the most significant trends for 2013 according to the NKBA.
- Gray color schemes — the color gray has slowly been gaining popularity since 2010. Currently used in 55% of kitchens, gray color schemes are effective in creating chic and sophisticated looks for your bathroom.
- Transitional Kitchen Styles — Transitional style blends the traditional and the contemporary into seamless designs. In the latest poll, the number of transitional kitchens is up 10% from the previous year, beating out the longstanding favorite of traditional style kitchens.
- Quartz finishes were in decline last year but have become a clear trendsetter this year. Quartz was the second most popular counter-surface in the last couple of years. This year, quartz closed the gap, rising to 80% usage. Granite, the most popular counter surface, held steady at 87% percent.
While those might be the most popular trends from last year, other trends include white painted cabinetry, glass backsplashes, LED lighting, touch-activated faucets, and satin nickel finishes.
Even though these might be the top trends for this year, when it comes to designing your kitchen from the ground up, or updating you existing kitchen, remember that your kitchen should reflect you and your personal style. To get started on designing your dream kitchen, check out The House Designers collection of fabulous kitchen house plans.
- Building a Garage: Placement and Size Specifications
- Add Appeal to Your Home with These Design Tips
- House Plans Designed with Fabulous Kitchens
- 5 Current Trends in Kitchen Design
- America’s Favorite House Plan Styles
- Fall in Love with These New England Homes
- We Have a Winner! Introducing the Stoney Creek House Plan
- Spring Home Maintenance Tips
- Michael Weston’s Miami: The Homes of “Burn Notice”
- The House Designers Helps Families in Crisis with Discounted House Plans