Pros and Cons of a Finished Basement Floor Plans
When you are in the process of buying your first house plan you probably haven’t given much thought to what you’ll do with a basement. Your choices are really to finish it or leave it with just the foundation walls. Finishing a basement can be a costly venture but it does have its benefits.
A basement that is not in use can accumulate mold and mildew and can become unpleasant and hazardous. A finished basement on the other hand is a naturally temperature controlled environment. They are typically warm in the winter and cool in the summer, allowing you to take advantage of it for storage or living purposes.
A basement is not just used for storage anymore. It can be made into an extra bedroom, a game room, hobby room or even a man cave. And if you live in a tornado-prone area, you can make the basement into a comfortable place to take shelter with your family.
Additionally, finishing a basement also adds to the value of your home. Finishing a basement, however, requires adding insulation and the room then needs to be heated which can add to the cost of your heating bill. A finished basement also provides a problem when it comes to making repairs. Technicians who have to make repairs to pipes or the furnaces may have to cut out a portion of the wall to gain access to the wall. This can be messy and time consuming whereas with an unfinished basement the technicians would have direct access to the pipes.
There are several benefits to finishing your basement, it all depends on what matters most to you. In the meantime, take a look at some of The House Designer’s best-selling house plans, many of which come with multiple basement options.
- America’s Favorite House Plan Styles
- We Have a Winner! Introducing the Stoney Creek House Plan
- Spring Home Maintenance Tips
- Michael Weston’s Miami: The Homes of “Burn Notice”
- The House Designers Helps Families in Crisis with Discounted House Plans
- The House Designers Design House Plans for America’s Baby Boomers
- Floor Plans of Famous Television Show Homes
- The House Designers’ Design House Plans for New Home Market
- Top 3 Kitchen Trends for 2013
- Get Your House Plans Emailed in Minutes with PDF Now! Program