Ask A Designer: Building a Green Home | green house plans
The designers and architects at The House Designers would like to encourage consumers and builders to submit their questions about building a green home since they are the leaders in designing authentic green house plans.
This week’s question:
Q: Will I be sacrificing performance and style using WaterSense® bath products?
A: Homeowners typically use over 70 gallons of water a day per person. Much of that usage stems from bathroom activities. High-design, high-efficiency plumbing products for toilets, faucets and showerheads are now available and can reduce water consumption by 20 percent. For example, water flows from a standard showerhead at 2.5 gallons per minute (gpm), so a 10-minute shower (with the water running continuously) nets 25 gallons. This is why using a WaterSense® approved showerhead is so important to water conservation in your home. WaterSense® products must have a flow rate of 2.0 gpm or less, while also meeting performance requirements for flow rate across a range of pressures, spray force, and spray coverage. When it comes to high efficiency toilets, these models must consumer no more than 1.28 gallons per flush. All faucets must have a GPM of 1.5 or lower. All products must obtain third-party verification in order to qualify for the WaterSense® label.
We encourage you to visit our collection of ENERGY STAR/Green House Plans as well as catch up on the latest green building products and trends in our Product Ideas section, including articles like “Stylish and Water Efficient Bath Products,” “Designing and Eco-Friendly Kitchen,” “What Makes a Home Green.”
Don’t miss a single new article, by subscribing to The House Designers free weekly e-newsletter called Home Ideas.
- Learn About Home Efficiency on Earth Day | green house plans
- Benefits of Using Pre-Drawn Green House Plans
- Top Three Green House Plans
- Get Your House Plans Emailed in Minutes with PDF Now! Program
- Plant a Green Roof: Feed 70 Chickens and Lower Your Bills | green house plans
- A Very Short History on Daylight Savings Time
- Adding Value to Your Home with ENERGY STAR® Products | green house plans
- Go Green With ENERGY STAR House Plans
- Green House Plans Featured in Professional Builder
- New House Plan Videos