Managing Your Move
Below is a four-week schedule checklist for managing your move.
Four Weeks from Move Date
Three Weeks from Move Date
- Get estimates from moving companies.
- Check references and insurance availability for damages that may happen during the move or packing.
- Notify your doctors, dentists, etc and ask them if they can refer you to anyone in the new town.
- Get boxes and packing material.
- Cancel memberships and services that you pay for monthly which are specific to your location - gyms, garbage collection, etc.
- Have school records transferred if your children will be attending a new school district.
Two Weeks from Move Date
- Start packing and labeling the boxes.
- Create and inventory checklist and organize the packed boxes.
- Have the utilities turned on at the new home.
- Do a change of address at the Post Office.
One Week from Move Date
- Talk to your new home's builder and coordinate the move. If you must move from your old home before the new one is ready, have a backup plan in place to stay somewhere - motel, friends, family.
- Cancel or transfer utility accounts from old home.
- Call moving company and confirm dates and arrangements.
- Consider moving very fragile items and family heirlooms yourself.
- Do one last inspection of the old home.
- Be at the new home when the movers arrive. If possible ask extra people you know to help supervise the moving, packing, unpacking, loading, and unloading.
- Go through the inventory checklist. Make sure everything has arrived safely and undamaged before signing the mover's paperwork.