Decorating On A Budget
Decorating a home can be quite expensive! Here are tips to help you keep your budget down when decorating your new home.
- Decide ahead of time on a budget or payment plan and pace your decorating.
- Decide on one room at a time and designate a priority within your room and then put together a room-by-room shopping list.
- Have a plan, color scheme, style and atmosphere.
- Your confidence level in tackling your decorating project makes a big difference in its success. If you are the least bit unsure, contact a professional designer or spend some time online. You'll find many free online home interior design programs and tools like the
Virtual Kitchen Designer by GE Appliances;
Sherwin-Williams Color Visualizer,
which allows you to upload your own photo,
Ethan Allen's Create
a Room Planner and many more.
- Measure your room to scale and be sure to show windows and doors. Decide on a focal point. Measure all furniture before purchase, particularly the sofa. Draw your furniture to scale and/or cut out the drawings and place them on your floor plan, moving them around until you get an arrangement that you like. This will help you decide if the items you want are proportionately correct for your room.
- Paint and wallpaper/borders go a long way to make a room appealing and usually cost very little.
- View colors and patterns in your home during daylight hours before making a purchase.